Setbacks are setups for a comeback
In retail, these are the final days of sales and it’s a nail-biter event to see if we’re slamming the sales targets we’ve set for ourselves. We also launched a beautiful new website this year. But of course as with every step forward, there are also a few setbacks. And we are experiencing some technical bumps, but these setbacks are just set-ups for a comeback, so expect a strong e-commerce game from us in 2020! Another last-minute charmer is finalizing administration; the tedious task of ranking in receipts, making sure payments are made and others are collected, is also a requisite for some peace of mind over the Holidays.
Besides finishing up work related to-do’s, there is the usual holiday task list of cooking, shopping and grooming. I’m behind on all levels, but luckily there is always an interesting O My Bag gift that will charm the family, I have a husband (just been married for 3 months, so feels awkwardly official to call him this way) that loves to cook and grocery shop and the grooming part, well, my nails are painted in a nice Christmas red, which makes me feel much more together than with my usual bare or chipped state-of-nails.
Kick up your feet
Once everything is said and done and we’ve finally kicked up our feet by the fireplace, it’s finally time to look back. As a company that strives to look out for the people all around us, it’s nice to share a few of our sustainability wins of 2019 with you.
Sustainability Highlights of 2019
- 783 fair jobs provided
- We helped to open three schools, which means 194 kids can attend the Brickfield Schools, that would have otherwise not been able to go to school this year.
- We hired a Sustainability Manager!
- We started the O My Bag second hand program in 2019: second hand bags are available at the second hand corner of our stores and on our website. They are also sold at sample sales we organize annually.
- We have sold 240 pre-loved bags and gave them a second life so far.
- We launched our Care & Repair page with many tips and videos on how to take care of your O My Bag and how to repair small defects yourself, to elongate its life.
- We offset our complete carbon emissions arising from transport (inbound as well as outbound, B2B and B2C) by investing in different accredited carbon offset projects, such as a project that provides Indian households with cleaner cook stoves
- O My Bag office and stores run on 100% renewable energy
- O My Bag staff collectively went to the Global Climate March in The Hague in September 2019
- We only have vegetarian lunches at the office, and opt for plant based more often than not. (We might singularly be responsible for Oatly shortages in the Amsterdam supermarkets.)
I hope you enjoy a well-deserved break and are able to step back and spend time with friends, family and loved ones. Let this also be a time to think about the people who may need our help, support or comfort.
See you in 2020!